Who We Are
- Private, Non-government incorporated
- The Logistics Institute is a federally incorporated company, founded in Canada in the mid 1980’s by twelve leading logistics industry associations in partnership with the Federal Government of Canada. It was officially incorporated in 1990 under part 2 of the Canada Business Corporations Act, and transitioned to continue as a federal company under the Canadian Not-for-profit Corporations Act in 2013
- Its mission is to teach, develop and promote the science of logistics to the business community, and to encourage practitioners along logistics career paths
- One earns a degree once, and becomes a graduate; one renews professional status annually, as a commitment to a career; and lifelong learning
- The Logistics Institute provides a comprehensive training, development and support program for individuals who work in logistics and the supply chain sector. In 1995, 52 people earned their P.Log. designation. Today, that number has increased to over 3000
The Logistics Institute uniquely delivers a comprehensive approach to logistics and supply chains, taking into account the roles and responsibilities, tasks and competencies, required by logistics practitioners in a globally competitive marketplace.
The Corporate mandate is to:
- Establish a supply chain logistics profession worldwide, in the form of the P.Log., LS, SC and other designations
- Develop competency standards and workforce strategies as the foundation of professionalism
- Deliver throughout the world competency-based training in supply chain logistics, leading to certification
- Sustain supply chain logistics human resource and talent development through research
- Define supply chain logistics career opportunities through career mobility frameworks and global work experience opportunities
- To establish the P.Log, LS, SC and other designations as the public statements of leadership and credibility in supply chain and logistics around the world
- To foster a global professional community supporting worldwide business, trade and economic developments between and among P.Log, LS, SC and other professionals
The Logistics Institute’s vision is to develop leaders who transform organizations as change agents and build capabilities in others to implement change through training; who have the self-confidence to make difficult decisions and accept responsibility for the consequences of those decisions; and who have the competitive edge to create customer value and the competence as supply chain and logistics practitioners to sustain that value.
The Logistics Institute is not an educational institution. It is a professional organization with members who are certified and have earned designations. A professional designation is a public statement of competence and trust that someone can do a job well. Certification programs are built on competency standards, which establish industry benchmarks in supply chain, logistics, global trade, leadership, ethics, and corporate social responsibility.
Through the Professional Review Board, the Logistics Professional Community of Interest establishes certification policies implemented under the stewardship of the Logistics Institute. The following professional certifications can be earned through the Logistics Institute:
[PROFESSIONAL LOGISTICIAN] designation is the internationally recognized professional credential earned by logistics practitioners to certify their competence as global supply chain leaders. The P.Log is a leader who initiates change throughout the organization to meet and manage customer requirements through flexible and efficient global supply chains in both B2B and B2C businesses. The P.Log is the key to a company’s bench strength in globally competitive markets; the P.Log is a logistics careerist committed to lifelong learning in the service of sustainable business developments.
[LOGISTICS SPECIALIST] designation is for logistics practitioners working in tactical and supervisory careers, as well as for those aspiring to managerial positions. The LS Program provides a foundation to start a career in logistics and supply chain.
[SUPPLY CHAIN] is a series of designations in specialized areas of business and supply chain management, including Change Management, Cold Chain [Food/Perishables], Global Trade Facilitation, Innovation, International Project Management, Risk and Resilience, Supplier Relationship Management, among others.