Who We Are
The Logistics Institute is a not-for-profit professional organization: we deliver certification programs to professionals primarily in, but not restricted to, the supply chain and logistics industry.
The Logistics Institute is holistic in its approach — our programs are competency-based and focus on the skills and competencies of the individual as a whole. Each program is created by taking into account the roles and responsibilities and to develop those competencies required by logistics and supply chain practitioners in a globally competitive marketplace.
Our programs contribute to career mobility: capacitating practitioners not only to advance in their careers, but also to move laterally; and providing the opportunity to develop a comprehensive career toolkit.
- The Logistics Institute is a federally incorporated company, founded in Canada in the mid 1980’s by twelve leading logistics industry associations in partnership with the Federal Government of Canada. It was officially incorporated in 1990 under part 2 of the Canada Business Corporations Act, and transitioned to continue as a federal company under the Canadian Not-for-profit Corporations Act in 2013.
- Its mission is to teach, develop and promote the science of logistics to the business community, and to encourage practitioners along logistics career paths.
- The Logistics Institute provides a comprehensive training, development and support program for individuals who work in logistics and the supply chain sector. In 1995, 52 people earned their P.Log. designation. Today, that number has increased to over 3000.
The Corporate mandate is to:
- Establish a supply chain logistics profession worldwide, in the form of the P.Log., LS, SC and other designations
- Develop competency standards and workforce strategies as the foundation of professionalism
- Deliver throughout the world competency-based training in supply chain logistics, leading to certification
- Sustain supply chain logistics human resource and talent development through research
- Define supply chain logistics career opportunities through career mobility frameworks and global work experience opportunities
- To establish the P.Log, and LS designations as the public statements of leadership and credibility in supply chain and logistics around the world, and
- to foster a global professional community supporting worldwide business, trade and economic developments between and among P.Log, and LS professionals.
The Logistics Institute’s vision is to develop leaders
- who transform organizations as change agents and build capabilities in others to implement change through training;
- who have the self-confidence to make difficult decisions and accept responsibility for the consequences of those decisions;
- and who have the competitive edge to create customer value and the competence as supply chain and logistics practitioners to sustain that value.
The Logistics Institute is not an educational institution. It is a professional organization with members who are certified and have earned designations. A professional designation is a public statement of competence and trust that someone can do a job well. Certification programs are built on competency standards, which establish industry benchmarks in supply chain, logistics, global trade, leadership, ethics, and corporate social responsibility.
Through the Professional Review Board, the Logistics Professional Community of Interest establishes certification policies implemented under the stewardship of the Logistics Institute. The following professional certifications can be earned through the Logistics Institute:
The P.Log. [PROFESSIONAL LOGISTICIAN] designation is the internationally recognized professional credential earned by logistics and supply chain practitioners to certify their competence as global supply chain leaders. The P.Log is a leader who initiates change throughout the organization to meet and manage customer requirements through flexible and efficient global supply chains in both B2B and B2C businesses. The P.Log is the key to a company’s bench strength in globally competitive markets; the P.Log is a logistics careerist committed to lifelong learning in the service of sustainable business developments.
The LS [LOGISTICS SPECIALIST] designation is for logistics practitioners working in tactical and supervisory careers, as well as for those aspiring to managerial positions. The LS Program provides a foundation to start a career in logistics and supply chain. It is also a stepping stone to earn the P.Log. Designation.