SC Certification Program
Credential Earned: SC-IPM Designation
By completing this program, participants will earn the SC-IPM [International SC Project Management] designation.
Earning the SC-IPM designation prepares you for the 21st Century as a professionally competent international project management specialist.
SC Certification Programs: Strategic Leadership in the 21st Century
The Supply Chain [SC] Certification Programs deliver a series of professional designations in specialized areas that will equip supply chain logistics professionals with the competencies required to implement a resilient supply chain strategy while discovering new opportunities to succeed in the face of constant challenge, change and opportunity.
To enhance the competencies of logistics practitioners and professionals in meeting the challenges of 21st Century global supply chains, the Logistics Institute has designed this new certification program on project management by separating it into three discrete but inter-connected areas of expertise within an overall management context, where key project management concepts are introduced, project management competencies are developed and enhanced through simulations and experience-based learning methods, and a focus specifically on Value and Risk issues associated with projects and project management.
The third program in our series of SC programs is the International Project Management Program.
In this certification program, the Logistics Institute separates “project management” into three discrete but inter-connected areas of expertise within an overall management context:
- PROJECT: a time-based endeavor designed to produce a unique product, service or result with a defined beginning and end, usually time-constrained and often constrained by funding and deliverables, undertaken to meet unique goals and objectives, typically to bring about beneficial change or added value.
- PROGRAM: a dossier of related projects and related activities delivering large scale transformation change.
- PORTFOLIO: the centralized management of processes, methods, technologies used to analyze and manage collectively current or proposed projects based on achieving such objectives as determining optimal resource mix for delivering and scheduling activities to achieve an organization’s operational and financial goals, while honoring constraints imposed by customers, business strategies, or expressed real-world factors.
The content of this self-directed, online program can be framed into 3 different stages of professional development: Foundation, Practitioner, and Portfolio.
This program is structured in three levels:
This level consists of two modules:
PRINCE2® Foundation (PRojects IN Controlled Environments) is a process-based approach for project management providing an easily tailored and scalable method for the management of all types of projects. The method is the de-facto standard for project management in the UK and is practiced worldwide. PRINCE2 is a flexible method that guides you through the essentials for running a successful project regardless of type or scale.
- Defined organization structure for the project management team
- Product-based planning approach
- Emphasis on dividing the project into manageable and controllable stages
- Flexibility that can be applied at a level appropriate to the project
Managing Successful Programs (MSP®) Foundation was developed as a best practice guide on Program Management. MSP represents proven best practices in the successful delivery of transformational change through the application of program management principles. MSP teaches the essential skills and knowledge required to develop program management capabilities.
- Distinguish between projects and Programs
- Identify the MSP defined types of programs and their characteristics
- Benefits of applying the MSP guidance to the management of a program of transformational change
- Purpose and areas of focus of the defined roles
- Purpose of the seven MSP principles, the nine governance themes and the six transformational flow processes
- Purpose of MSP program information
DURATION: you have 60 days’ access to complete both modules, with a time commitment of 20 hours on average
This level consists of two modules:
PRINCE2 Practitioner goes from theory to practice and builds on PRINCE2 Foundation. The course focuses on the following key topics: business case justification supporting projects, organizational structure for a project management team, product-based planning, dividing the project into manageable stages, apply flexibility at appropriate levels, linking themes and principles.
- Understand the relationships between the roles, management products, principles, themes, techniques and processes
- Be able to apply the principles, themes, and processes to a project
- Be able to create and assess management products
Managing Successful Programs (MSP®) Practitioner goes from theory to practice and builds on the MSP Foundation. The module uses models and simulations to demonstrate how successful programs are developed and managed. By managing a program, the team can reduce the level of risk involved and protect the company investment in change. MSP Practitioners provides the framework to manage transformational change, ensuring its governance themes and processes are applied appropriately to suit the organization’s circumstances.
- MSP process model walk-through
- MSP program scenario
- Simulations: Program organization, Business case, Risk management, Benefits mapping, Creating a blueprint, Quality management, Planning and control
DURATION: you have 60 days’ access to complete both modules, with a time commitment of 30 hours on average
In this level, you can choose two out of the following three modules:
- Management of Portfolios (MoP®) provides senior executives and decision makers with an overview of portfolio management – the principles upon which it is based, some of the techniques used and how to get started and sustain progress. MoP is closely aligned to the program and project management methodologies outlined in MSP® and PRINCE2®, but focuses on the management of the change that is delivered by formalized project and program management, rather than the individual initiatives.
- Management of Value (MoV®) has evolved from the tried and successful practice of value management across many sectors and over many years. The course is intended to help organizations use a successful, proven methodology to supplement their current management practices, so that they can increase the value they deliver and make better use of resources. The guidance is aimed at all those involved in directing, managing, supporting and delivering portfolios, programs and projects. MoV is all about maximizing value in line with the program and project objectives and the key stakeholder requirements. It is not simply about minimizing costs. While MoV supports the project, portfolio, program and risk management principles of PRINCE2®, MoP, MSP® and MoR®, its main focus is on maximizing value.
- Management of Risk (MoR®) In organizations and business situations, almost every decision involves some degree of risk. Aimed at everyone who has ever made an important business decision, MoR is a robust yet flexible framework that allows accurate risk assessment. MoR considers risk from different perspectives within an organization: strategic, program, project and operational, respecting the roles, responsibilities and terminologies used outside the disciplines of program and project management. MoR has been developed to learn how to manage the identification, assessment and control of risks across any organizational perspective.
DURATION: you have 60 days’ access to complete both modules, with a time commitment of 24 hours on average
Our Partners in Professionalism
The IPM Program consists of a series of online courses developed by the Government of the United Kingdom and organized into three distinct certification programs by the Logistics Institute. Courses are accessed by exclusive license between the Logistics Institute and Orion Learning, an online competency-based training company in Toronto. Certification programs are aligned to each competency level, resulting in three independent and distinct professional designations. Successful completion of these courses prepares participants for UK-based project management certifications.
PRINCE2® Foundation and Practitioner, MSP® Foundation and Practitioner, M_o_R® Foundation, MoV® Foundation courses are offered by ILX Group.
M_o_R®, MoV®, MSP®and PRINCE2® are registered trade marks of AXELOS Limited. The Canadian Professional Logistics Institute is a named reseller of the ILX Group.
All professional designations are owned and maintained by the Logistics Community of Interest under the stewardship of the Logistics Institute. Professional designations are registered trademarks of the Logistics Institute.
The SC-IPM™ designation belongs to the Logistics Institute as a trademarked asset. SC-IPM™ professionals are members of the Logistics Institute. Earning the SC-IPM™ designation entails successful completion of the International Project Management program, which is designed to meet the certification requirements set by the Professional Review Board of the Logistics Institute. All program content is developed by partners, who own and deliver that content under license to the Logistics Institute.
Participants completing the International Project Management program can (independent of the Institute) also take the exam to earn the PRINCE2 designation.
Designations must be renewed on an annual basis for continued use of the trademark. The professional year for all designations runs from November 1 – October 31.
|P.Log Members||Auto-Renewed with P.Log Renewal|
The Logistics Institute has the mandate to foster business, trade and economic developments between and among supply chain logistics professionals to sustain global trade built on an even playing field, led by competent and ethical certified professionals, based on the fundamental conviction that global trade can only be sustained at the human level by practitioners and professionals who are capable of building trust.